Oil to rockers?

Aircool

Oil to rockers?

Post by Aircool » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi, I have just rebuilt the engine to my '66 Super Minx, bit concerned about the oil pressure.

Let me first say that there was nothing wrong with the engine before I stripped and rebuilt it, it was an exercise to inspect and replace any worn parts, tidy the engine bay, clean and detail the engine.

When I re-assembled I primed the oil pump.

I filled the engine with fresh oil and with the spark plugs out cranked the engine by hand until oil appeared at the filter fixing, I then screwed on the filter.

I then turned over the engine using the starter (plugs still out and rocker cover off) can't seem to get any oil out of the rockers! The oil light goes out almost immediately and stays off for a good twenty seconds after the engine stops spinning

I removed the oil feed to the rockers and span the engine again, oil does gently pulse out of the small feed pipe but there seems to be no pressure. the manual says that this small pipe is supplied via a drilling in the camshaft and runs at a vastly reduced pressure as it only receives oil every one revolution of the camshaft.

Finally I hooked up all the plug leads etc. and fired the engine for about five seconds at about 1000rpm then turned everything off because still no oil at the rockers.

My thoughts are that once the oil is up the top it should run freely out of the drillings on the top of the rockers, certainly on my MGB as soon as she fires oil from the rockers is in abundance.

Any thoughts anyone?

rhythmrider

Re: Oil to rockers?

Post by rhythmrider » Fri May 05, 2017 3:35 am

Did you replace the head gasket when you rebuilt the engine?
I seem to recall that the oil holes were slightly different in the cast iron vs. aluminum head engines.

If someone accidentally gave you the wrong head gasket it might potentially be the issue.

I know it's been some time since you posted this.
I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Dana